TECHNET Archives

February 2004

From:
"Dehoyos, Ramon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:06:58 -0800
        Rick:
        Use of ion generator air flow over the components is very helpful.
AC ion generators are simple and do not need to be calibrated, DC ones need
to be.
        Regards,
        Ramon

additional precautions are currently being used when required to operate
below 30% RH?  Beyond the standard wrist and foot straps, conductive
flooring, etc. what additional precautions need to be mandated to operate in
lower humidity?

> Thanks for any feedback.
>

> Rick Thompson
>
> Sr. SMT Process Engineer
> SMTEK International, Inc.
> +1 (805) 532-2800

the humidity falls below 30%, then proper ESD control needs to be in place.
It also specifies a max of 70%.  We are in the east and find our humidity
ranges from as low as 10% in the winter up to 50% or so in the summer.  Even
with humidity controls in place we have difficulty maintaining the 30% min
in the winter.

> Although the spec states a range, other considerations need to be kept in
mind.  These include the affect of humidity of MSD's, paste processes,
assembly processes, and even reflow.  If paste dries out or absorbs
moisture, variation in these processes will be evident.

> -Carrie

847-509-9700 ext.5315>