TECHNET Archives

February 2004

From:
Frank Kimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 07:46:20 -0800
Hey Dan,
I have seen this phenomenon more times than I like.
There are a few more questions prior to reaching root cause.
Talk to your supplier and see if:

1. Are nonplated holes done as second operation or are they "poisoned" to stop electroless Cu from adhering.
If "poisoning" is done, then you likely are seeing Immersion gold adhering to contamination and/or fibers within the nonplated hole surface. I do not reject for this, but do notify my suppliers they have issue and in small amounts I consider this a process indicator.

2. What is process flow? How does it differ from your other suppliers.

3. When was ENIG maintenance preformed (before and after) in relationship to date code of build? Possibly a contaminated bath within the process.

The majority of the times I have seen this phenomenon it was caused by weak and/or poorly applied "poison" solution used with drilling all holes in same primary drill process (no secondary drill in process flow).
Finally, discuss with your supplier and let them know this is one of those things you just don't want to see. They can then make sure this process indicator is watched and maintained in house for a better product to you.
Hope this has helped.
Call me if you want to discuss further.
FNK

Frank N Kimmey CID+