TECHNET Archives

February 2004

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:34:15 +0200
Depends what you mean by correlation.

1) If (unlikely) all the ions present in contamination can be measured
in the chromatograph and if (equally unlikely) the extraction process is
the same, then IC and ionic contamination testing should correlate. In
practice, it won't a) because you measure only the ions that you have
tubes/detectors for and b) the extraction conditions differ (especially
the Ionograph method).

2) There cannot be any correlation between SIR and either ion testing
method, in practice. In theory, if the contamination consists only of a
single species of an ionic salt, then pure SIR will correlate
non-linearly, but ECMR (which is more commonly measured than SIR,
although it is equally commonly and mistakenly confused for SIR) will
not necessarily correlate. To illustrate: imagine an SIR test pattern
contaminated only with sugar. The SIR will be low but the ionic testing
will indicate zero. OTOH, a light contamination with some salts with a
very low hygroscopicity may indicate a high SIR but low ionic contamination.

Brian