TECHNET Archives

February 2004

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:39:32 EST
Hi Wee Mei,

First off, thanks for the kind words. Necessity is the mother of invention,
and I don't think I'm doing anything special that anybody else wouldn't do when
faced with similar circumstances. I just like to let everyone know that these
Flextac stencils really do work, and do a very good job at it.

No this wasn't tacky flux that I was talking about, but a pressure sensitive
adhesive on the stencil itself. This provides for very good gasketing of the
stencil to the substrate.

I needed to print paste since the PowerPC BGA is a ceramic device and has
high temp solder balls. If the solder balls were standard 63/37 eutectic balls,
then yes, tacky flux would be applied, instead of solder paste. The high temp
balled devices need some solder paste applied since they don't collapse and wet
to the pads like eutectic balls do.

-Steve Gregory-
Steve,

Thanks for the sharing. You has never failed us with your
innovativeness. It is a very wonderful process.

By the way, I would like to check with you regarding the contact
adhesive mentioned below. Is it anyway also known as "tacky flux"? The
use of this tacky flux is not something new, right? I am sure tacky flux
has been in use for sometime to replace solder paster to mount PBGAs.

Regards,
Wee Mei