TECHNET Archives

February 2004

From:
Peter Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:52:03 -0000
Franklin,

As you know, legislation will demand lead-free in Europe summer 2006. Not
many companies here are in lead-free production yet, but will be starting
quite soon. Our survey shows a lot of people looking to qualify and first
build in the first two quarters next year.

Japanese companies already have some significant lead-free production, most
consumer products I believe. A recent presentation by Senju at the SMART
Group 6th Annual Lead-Free Seminar showed the Japanese timetables; for
example, Sony, Hitachi and Canon will be lead-free in all their factories
(globally) next month. Matsushita (Panasonic), Fujitsu, and JVC already are,
apparently.

The USA will inevitably follow, in my opinion. Not necessarily because of
legislation, but because of market pressures. The Japanese move to lead-free
seems market driven because, whilst they have some recycling laws, they only
suggests a lead-free timetable, not mandate one. Therefore the driver is
getting your product on the shelves with a "lead-free" logo on it, letting
the consumer believe you are more environmentally friendly.

Even in Europe, whilst there is legislation (penalties include 2 years jail
(or "gaol" as we call it), product bans and unlimited fines), the market
will be the driver, because, frankly, who will actually police this...
except your competition?

And yes, we all pretty much know that banning lead from electronics assembly
will do more environmental harm than good; but it is inevitable.

Peter
--
Peter Swanson                                      Oxfordshire, England