TECHNET Archives

February 2004

From:
Lum Wee Mei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 07:39:11 +0800
Charles,

Just curious why the turret can be soldered onto the PCB without swaged
but you do not think it is acceptable?

To swag the turret is to ensure it stay put when the board is pass
through wave soldering. If not, they have the tendecny to be pushed off
from thier holes. However, this problem should only occurred if the hole
diameter on the PCB for the turrets is much larger than the turrets own
diameter.

Isn't the hole diameter on the PCB for turrets should be specified as
tight fitting? If that is the case, there is no need for swagging it for
hand soldering though I am not sure about wave sodlering.

Just my 2 cents worth of opinions as a designer.

Regards,
Wee Mei