TECHNET Archives

February 2004

From:
Tom Gervascio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:21:53 -0500
Bev has a good point- where the part is positioned after reflow is a function of solder wetting and surface tension of the solder after reflowed- in addition to Bev's comments I add a few:
copper distribution - where one part lead heats up more than another lead (tombstoning on chip parts)
surface finish solderability - which is also related to board (ENIG, OSP or HASL) or part finish (tin/lead, matte tin, tin-palladium)
solder paste viscosity changes during reflow (as thixotropic modifiers and fluxes heat up they may slump causing variations in how much solder may wet  back into the solder joint).

From experience I would expect more changes in position in Ball Grid Arrays (and derivatives of them) and smaller chip components (1210 or smaller components).

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/16/04 04:02PM >>>
Jeff,
Short answer - not that I know of.  But our designers sure wish there was too.  They want the plant to actually guarantee the vertical distance off the board for one part!!!!

Why can't they?
Slight variations in flux/solder sphere ratio in each dollop of solder paste
Relatively wide range of how much solder is put down through the stencil,
Very slight variations in pad size and orientation of stencil to board,
Minor variations in air currents, temperature
Variations in solderability lead to lead
Variations in lead shape lead to lead

And I am sure that other TechNetters will point out other variables.
Good luck, you're going to need it.
regards,
Bev Christian
Research in Motion