TECHNET Archives

February 2004

From:
Rich Lasko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 08:13:32 -0600
Greetings everyone,

Let me first start off with a little background information.  I am currently
investigating a random issue on one of our SMT assemblies.  The issue
revolves around four (4) 0805 chip components.  (Kemet C0805C824K8RAC & AVX
VC080505A150DP)  During initial placement of the components (pre reflow) the
part is centered directly between the lands and there is good component to
pad overlap.  However, during post reflow we are noticing that occasionally
(on only these four components) the parts shift so that the component to pad
overlap is now being questioned.  Please note, the end overlap looks pretty
close to Figure 12-31 however on my products there is a good solder joint
that meets both the minimum fillet height and end joint width criteria.  So
my question is, if the component is soldered but is borderline and
questionable as to the amount of end overlap should this be reworked?  I
have always felt that if you have a good solder joint to begin with that
touching it to move this component less than 0.015" is running the risk of
doing more damage than good.  Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Regards,

Rich Lasko