TECHNET Archives

February 2004

From:
Eddie Rocha <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:48:40 -0800
If the amount of gold is less than ~20 uin, then rework might be an
option. Too much gold will result in embrittlement issues with your
solder joints.

On 4 Feb 2004 at 8:47, Ezequiel Cruz wrote:

Can anyone help with the following:

My board house built my boards with a gold finish.
The finish should have been selective gold as we have some
contact areas on
the pwb.

I have insisted on a re-build which is currently being done. However,
because of our all ready late schedule, the board house has offered
to re-
work the gold finish boards for us. The method explained to me was
mask the
selective gold areas and flux clean the remaining board while
dipping in
molten solder.

Does anyone have any experience with re-working this way. Our
biggest
concern is from a re-liability standpoint. Obviously this board will go
through additional thermal cycling not necessarily part of a standard
build. What effect, if any, will this have on the board itself.
Remember
that our stuffing house will place this board through additional
thermal
cycling.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ezequiel Cruz

following text in
http://listserv.ipc.org/archives
Please visit IPC web site
information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-
509-9700 ext.5315