TECHNET Archives

February 2004

From:
"Douglas O. Pauls" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 07:45:30 -0600
Les,
I am curious as to why Teflon is not adequate.  Outgassing?  Chain
scission?  Softening?

A resource that I sometimes use in looking at different available polymers
is MatWeb.  You can do elementary searches on properties and the more
powerful search features are available with a subscription.  Here is the
link.   http://www.matweb.com/index.asp?ckck=1

Doug Pauls

                      - Bogert
                      <[log in to unmask]>        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      Sent by: TechNet         cc:
                      <[log in to unmask]>        Subject:  [TN] Kapton insulated wire

                      02/11/2004 04:48
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "TechNet E-Mail
                      Forum."; Please
                      respond to -
                      Bogert

February 11, 2004

Do you folks know of an acceptable insulation for wire that can replace
KAPTON insulation.  KAPTON is subject to arc strike and has been attributed
to air line crash.  Additionally, Columbia accident board investigated its
use in shuttle and mandated inspection of all such wire in order to extend
shuttle life to 40 years.  The insulation I need must be able to withstand
650F, and teflon is not acceptable because of