TECHNET Archives

February 2004

From:
"d. terstegge" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:09:13 +0100
Hi Ken,

The J-STD-001 mentions "through-hole component leads with 2.5 µm
(0.0986 mil) or more of gold". Seems to me that the value of 0.0984 mil
is a conversion of the (less precise) 2.5 micrometers, which in itself
is a conversion of the 0.00010 inch that you mentioned as Mil-spec
value.
I'm only guessing, but the problem seems to be that the J-STD-001
number has more precision than originally intended.  So my personal
opinion is you can stop pretinning these parts.
Good luck in your discussions !

Daan Terstegge
Thales Communications
Unclassified mail
Personal Website: http://www.smtinfo.net

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/10/04 04:27pm >>>
We are in the middle of a big discussion regarding pretinning gold
plated
component leads. J-STD-001 says that anything over .0984 mil has to be
removed by tinning, implying anything under does not. Our terminal
manufacturer and the mil spec MIL-G-45204C, now defunked, says that
they
have a minimum thickness of 0.00005 inch and a maximum thickness of
0.00010
inch. Granted you don't know the actual thickness of the plating
because it
can be anything up to 0.00010 mil.

Since you are never sure what the thickness will be how do you
determine
whether to tin or not? The difference between the J-STD and the top
plating
spec isn't much. I would assume that the pin manufacturer is going to
put on
the minimum amount of gold due to costs.

It is very time consuming to tin the number of gold component leads we
have
and would like to know you opinions. To clean or not to clean that is
the
question?

Thanks,

KennyB