TECHNET Archives

February 2004

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:04:53 +0200
Sorry, Daan. All contamination on incoming components is undesirable, no
matter the process. It may a) interfere with the solderability of the
leads; b) depending on the nature of the contamination and the cleaning
process, remain on the assembly untouched; c) upset the flux chemistry;
d) osmotically penetrate the component body or otherwise bond thereto;
e) etc.

I've never excused component manufacturers (including PCB manufacturers)
from their obligations to provide clean components: in any case, how
does a ceramic capacitor maker know whether a component will be cleaned
or not and, if so, how and in what product? If they cannot provide clean
components, they should go out of business. Tuff!!!

Brian