TECHNET Archives

February 2004

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:56:56 +0200
Amen! Lord Doug has hit it on the head.

It may interest you (academically) to know that the erstwhile company I
owned manufactured the Microcontaminometer 20 years ago, through to
1991. It was capable of measuring the ionic contamination on parts as
small as a single diode. It was not a popular instrument: I think we
probably sold less than 50 of the beasts. What we did find was that many
components were hopelessly badly contaminated. There is a whole chapter
in my book on this subject, with photos. One IC, which is shown,
measured at 12.4 µg/cm2 eq. NaCl and this is by no means exceptional.

My experience in my former professional life was that component
manufacturers cared even less about cleanliness than they did about
solderability and I know no reason why this state of affairs should be
any different today.

Brian