LEADFREE Archives

February 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:12:00 EST
Thanks Erik

I am hoping that others in this forum have carefully read your full message.
It is not a message many in product marketing (who tend to prefer short
product life cycles) will likely welcome or embrace but it makes good sense.

Perhaps there is a chance that common sense will come into play. By the way,
relative to lead. The University of Tennessee preliminary results given at
APEX-EXPO appear to show tin-lead solder to be more environmentally friendly than
lead-free solders. This is what Stuttgart University showed originally in
their analysis.

The University of Tennessee did find that lead leached more in acetic acid
than the other solders, but those results should have been a foregone
conclusion. There has still been unearthed no evidence of leaching or harm to humans or
the environment traceable to electronic solders just a lot of accusations with
no supporting evidence.

Thanks again. I am looking forward to reading your book.

Best regards,
Joe