LEADFREE Archives

February 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 00:00:38 EST
Hi Keith,
I sure wish would be as straightforward and simple, but they are, and were,
not.
>I have to admit that when I used the word "proven" I was using a more
limited definition than the one that you >might use.    What I mean is that the
companies who have been using the alloys I mentioned undertook their >own
accelerated test program before their adoption and have monitored real time field
performance since then >to determine whether the confidence established on the
basis of their preliminary (and in your terms >possibly rather primitive) ALT has
been justified FOR THEIR PRODUCT by actual experience in service.
A: If these companies actually performed ALT with regards to solder joint
reliability, they had little idea of what was needed. And...as Dave has pointed
out, field failures of product of any kind, and in particular consumer
products, do not get sufficient analysis do determine failure  ode or root cause.
>With something like 200 million boards of a wide variety of types produced
with these solders since 1999 and with a substantial number having now been in
service for nearly five years there have been, as far as we know, no failures
in the solder alloy.
A: While this number sounds impressive, it really is not. First, all of these
are consumer products--in other words, throw-away products. Second, consumer
products tend to put very little strains on solder joints because of (a)
benign use environments, and (b) by the tendency to make consumer products compact
and thus use small components.
>There were and still are some failures in connections due to "cold joints",
which is the same defect that >occurs with tin-lead solder when the joint
surfaces do not get to the temperature necessary to form a >metallurgical bond
with the substrate, but that is a process control issue rather than a reflection
of some >fundamental weakness in the alloy itself.
A: Processing quality issues will always be with us, LF or not.
>I think that to be realistic, Werner, this is the way that the industry will
have to gradually build up its >confidence in the reliability of lead-free
solders- do enough "pragmatic" ALT to get sufficient confidence to >use the
alloy in production and then see how that squares up with field experience- and if
an
>unanticipated failure occurs go back and adjust the ALT to test for that
failure mode.
A: This is unacceptable for products were human life is in danger when
failure occurs. For these 'ALTs' to be at all meaningfull, we have do understand how
these solder joints behave under cyclic strains in both real applications and
under ATC.
>That is the way the industry built up confidence in tin-lead solder.
Tin-lead solder was adopted in the early >days of the electronics industry when there
was even less reliability data available than there is now for the >lead-free
solders. There were some unexpected failures with tin-lead (e.g. due to gold
embrittlement) but the >industry learned from these experiences and adjusted
practice accordingly so that overall a high level of >reliability was achieved.
There is no reason to believe that the same thing will not happen with
lead-free >solders.
A: No, this is not the way it happened--I was there, remember. It started
with ceramic components on ceramic hybrid circuits—hardly any strains on the SJs
at all. Nevertheless, Au-embrittlement caused overstress failures in the
intermetallic layers---not the solder joints-- on relatively small handling
stresses. It was only when the industry progressed to polymeric PWBs with larger
ceramic LLCCCs that all hell broke loose. ALTs and field experience did not solve
the problem, good research by many workers in the field did that--and it took
many years. LF-solders are to be substituted into high-density,
high-technology products that need to function reliably in harsh environments with people's
lives depending on them--wow!
>In regard to the current anxiety in the industry that we are moving into
totally unknown territory, Dr Jenny >Hwang made an interesting and in a way
reassuring observation in some discussions during Internepcon Tokyo >a few weeks
ago. She said that so far the behaviour of the lead-free alloys has been
entirely consistent with >known metallurgical science.    Because metallurgy is only
incidental to its business of making functioning >circuitry the electronic
industry tends to have a fairly narrow view of the very large subject of
>metallurgical science.   While there are around the world many very good
metallurgists working in the field >of soldering technology the knowledge of most people
in the practical side of the industry is limited to the >metallurgy of the
tin-lead system.  People like Dr Hwang, however, have experience in the wider
field of >metallurgy science and can therefore put the issues associated with
lead-free solder into context.    The fact >that the behaviour of lead-free
solders seems to be consistent with the general understanding of the behaviour >of
metals does not mean that there will be no unanticipated problems but if the
electronics industry draws on >all the resources of metallurgical knowhow that
are available it can approach this change with a little more >confidence than
it seems to have at the moment.
A:  I do not see where you find comfort here.  Saying "the behaviour of the
lead-free alloys has been entirely consistent with known metallurgical science"
means just that, the emphasis is on 'known', and unfortunately we do not know
anywhere as much as we need to.
>A solder joint does not "know" whether it is in a walkman or a jet fighter.
 All it "knows" is the mechanically >and thermally induced stresses and
strains to which it is subject and there can be some overlap in that range >of
"experience".
A:  Well, actually a solder joint does "know" whether it is in a walkman or a
jet fighter, because the strains a SJ is subjected to are quite different
because of the different use environments and design constraints and thus the SJ
will respond accordingly.
>In fact given the intrinsic weakness of tin-lead solder part of the design
of joints for high performance >electronics has been to try to ensure (e.g. by
building in stress relief and reducing thermal mismatch) that >the solder
joints are not subject to stresses and strains that are too much more extreme than
those >experienced by a soldered joint in a walkman.
A:  No, there is no "intrinsic weakness of tin-lead solder" and no "stress"
relief has ever been required for a solder joint. On the other hand,
strain-reliefs have been required frequently. While this difference may apppear
academic, it is crucial in assuring that the solder joints function as expected for
the design life of the product.
>The rapidly accumulating experience in consumer and general electronics can
provide a  foundation on which >high performance electronics can build.
A:  There, unfortunately, is no "rapidly accumulating experience in consumer
and general electronics" that will do that.

Regards,
Werner Engelmaier