LEADFREE Archives

February 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:40:22 +0200
Dewey
I reproduce what the 2002 edition of Oxford says:
[quote]
solder, noun & verb.
Also †sodder. ME.
A. noun.
  1. A fusible metallic alloy used for uniting less fusible metal
surfaces or parts. ME.
hard solder: fusible at a relatively high temperature and typically
containing brass and silver. silver solder: see SILVER noun & adjective.
soft solder (a) solder fusible at a relatively low temperature,
typically containing lead and tin; (b) fig. (arch.) flattery (cf. SAWDER
noun). spelter solder: see SPELTER 2.
  2. fig. Something which unites things; esp. a unifying quality or
principle. L16.
B. verb.
I. verb trans.
  1. Unite, fasten, or repair by means of metallic solder. Foll. by to,
on, together, etc. LME.
† 2. Medicine. Cause (a wound) to close up and become whole; reunite
(tissues or bones). L15–L18.
  3. transf. & fig. Unite firmly or closely, join, cause to adhere.
Also, restore to a sound condition, patch up again. M16.
II. verb intrans.
  4. Adhere, unite, grow together. Chiefly fig. L15.

• soldera"bility noun the property of being solderable M20.
• solderable adjective able to be joined by means of solder M20.
• solderer noun a person who works with solder M16.
• soldering noun (a) the action of the verb; (
• soldering iron, a tool for applying molten solder); (b) solder: LME.
• solderless adjective made without solder; not requiring solder: E20.
[/quote]

Note that the verb I.3 definition offers 'join', and nowhere 'connect'.
I therefore surmise that 'joint' is correct if 'solder' is used
attributatively. If the 2002 edition of the Oxford English Dictionary
says so, then this is darn hootin' good enough for me!!! :-) Sorry,
Jack! And what if a solder joint is used to fix something mechanically
to a printed circuit, without an electrical function, how can anyone
consider this a connection (or even an unused connector pin)?

:-D

Brian