LEADFREE Archives

February 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 16:34:31 EST
Hello all,
Technical question: are there established quantitative guidelines for
annealing / ageing time and temperature for solder testing specimens? (as in shear /
tensile, creep testing etc...)

I see numbers that are all over the place: from 1 to 100 hours at
temperatures from room temperature to 60C, 100C, 160C...(those are numbers I ran into for
lead-free alloys like SAC), so I am trying to understand where the numbers
come from.
Many publications state that their specific conditions provide for a
micro-structure similar to that of common solder joints.  Others also state that this
provides for the necessary stress relief.  Apparently, different labs have
very different approaches to achieve similar goals.  However, most of these
conditions alter the initial microstructure, and thus the mechanical properties, in
many different ways.

Thanks for your help,
Jean-Paul
Jean-Paul Clech