TECHNET Archives

January 2004

Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 09:10:19 -0500
January 10, 2004

Folks, I am aware of an OEM who establishes his wave solder profiles by using an unpopulated printed wiring board, which has thermocouples attached on the solder destination side.  After the profile is completed, a first piece assembly is 100 percent visually inspected, and if the results are OK, the prifile is saved and logged in document control, and unless there are solder problems on subsequent production units, that specific assembly part number is normally never solder profiled again.  The machine setup (e.g. speed, temperature sensors, etc are in the periodic calibration program).  For reflow profiling, the OEM uses an actual printed wiring assembly with thermocouples attached.

I have several questions on solder profiling, as follows:

1.    I am not aware of any IPC or military  specification requirement that mandates any specific method for solder profiling, or for how often (if ever) a profile needs to be repeated once it has bewen established for a given part number assembly.

2.    I am aware of all flavors of solder profiling (e.g., machine profile just using the built in solder machine sensors; machine profile using just temperature dots on the top side of the printed wiring assembly; machine profile using a mole or other type of instrumented device; and thermocouples on an actual printed wiring assembly).  It appears that as long as one gets an acceptable solder joint, any of these methods are acceptable for profiling wave solder.

What method do you folks use for profiling for reflow and wave solder?  Is wave solder profile using the unpopulated printed wiring board an acceptable method?  If one continues to get acceptable solder joints, how often (if ever) do folks repeat a solder profile on a given part