TECHNET Archives

January 2004

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:30:43 EST
Hi Joe!

This topic has come up before, and there has been inputs from Brian Ellis,
and Doug Pauls on this issue...if I remember correctly, it's not a good idea. If
I'm wrong, please correct me.

Thinking about the big picture, I have my own thoughts. Once an assembly is
coated, you have effectively sealed everything that's on the board in beneath
the coating.

If the bare board came in absolutely clean, and everybody wore gloves when
handling the fabs so as to not contaminate the board with skin salts, all the
flux was activated from reflow or wave, and no touch-up was done on the
assembly...then maybe, just maybe, I might say it's okay.

If an assembly needs coating because of the environment it will be in, I just
think it's best to clean it as well as possible to remove everything and then
coat it. I may be paranoid, but that's just me...

-Steve Gregory-

Fellow Techeads,

It has been suggested by one of our CMs that it is acceptable to conformal
coat (type AR) over no clean flux residue.  Would anyone like to share their
opinions or experience on this subject.  Conformal coating over residue does
not sound like the correct thing to do.  thanks

joe