TECHNET Archives

January 2004

From:
"Morse, Carrie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:24:03 -0500
We are a CM and find that boards with a Matte finish are less susceptible to solder balls at our wave processes.  We have discussed this with our flux suppliers and equipment suppliers and have read a few articles on why solder balls are more likely to form on the gloss finish boards.  We have received many recommendations on how to reduce or eliminate the solder balls (change flux volume, change preheat, change this, change that) -- But, the one theme from a root cause standpoint that recurs is the mask.

What are the pro's and Cons of a Matte vs. Gloss finish for solder mask?
Is one easier to apply, less expensive?
Why would one be specified or used vs. the other?

What is the specification for Gloss?  Normally I see "Solder mask per SM-840 Class T".  Is finish an option from a fab standpoint when it is not specified?

Ultimately I'd like to be able to specify Matte Finish to the supplier, but, I do not know how this may affect longevity of the board, cost, or even perception of quality.  I've heard some say that the end customers like the way that the gloss boards look -- "shinier looks cleaner"?

Any and all info including personal opinions about matte vs. gloss finish are welcome.

Thanks,
Carrie