TECHNET Archives

January 2004

From:
Lee Whiteman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:36:10 -0500
David,

We did not solder any lead free BGA/CGA's combined with SnPb solder
paste.

However, we did solder BGA's, with SnAgCu balls, with SnPb on a rework
station. We did get a good solder joint, but we had to operate the
rework station at a lead free profile to get the balls to reflow.
Reliability is still a question. As David Suraski, Aim Solders, pointed
out (and David correct me if I'm wrong), lead contamination in a Lead
Free solder joint could adversely impact the Lead Free solder joint
thermal cycle reliability.

We have not seen that lead free contamination phenomena in our tests.
However, that does not mean it does not exist. I would love to perform a
series of experiments to see how much lead contamination will cause a
lead free solder joint to fail thermal cycling (-55C to 125C for 2000
cycles).

Give me a call off line and let's talk.

Lee Whiteman
Senior Manufacturing Engineer
American Competitiveness Institute
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Ph: (610) 362-1200 x208
Fax: (610) 362-1290

This message is for informational purposes only and does not supersede,
modify, or create any agreements with ACI. Information contained in this
message does not bind ACI or its affiliates to any commitment, either
express or implied, unless ratified in writing by an authorized
representative.