TECHNET Archives

January 2004

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:32:28 -0500
Bob,
If Bi were a human toxicity concern, then there would be a lot of dead people that chug Pepto-Bismol!

The environmental concern is that, depending on geographical location, a significant proportion of the world's bismuth is obtained as a by-product of lead mining.  So if we want more bismuth and do not buy more and more of it from the Chinese, who are getting it as a by-product from their tungsten mining, then we are going to have more lead tailings, dust, etc. than we have now!

The main concern regarding bismuth for most of us in the industry is solder joint reliability - IF the amount of bismuth is high enough.  Look at the Boeing papers.  They show the tin bismuth alloy that is close to 50/50 is death with lead, but some of the others that have < 10% bismuth if contaminated with less than 1% lead aren't so bad.

regards,
Bev Christian
Research in Motion