TECHNET Archives

January 2004

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:32:27 EST
Hi Steve!

I don't know if you caught my epilog reply, but the mask coming off had
nothing to do with the XJN...the fab vendor didn't do a pumice scrub before they
applied the mask. Their production paperwork, or lot traveler had been
signed-off that it had been done. We do tape tests at incoming receiving inspection,
and nothing was noted with these fabs. Only until themally shocking the fab at
wave solder (with a bunch of expensive parts loaded), and then washing, did the
mask lose adhesion because of the bad surface prep.

As far as specifying the type of soldermask used, I sure wish I could! But
many of our customers that use dry-film are DoD suppliers, and they either; A.)
Dry-film is what they've been using since they started, and aren't going to
change now, or; B.) To switch to a LPI means either changing the drawing or
having to requalify the assembly, something they say is just too much trouble.

It's hard to convince them to change, because they don't feel the pain. All
they want is assembled product built to their spec's using the materials they
specify. They don't have to deal with the scrap that we have to deal
with...that's our problem, not theirs.

Sometimes you can get the fab vendor to eat the cost of the assembly when a
step is skipped when they built the fab, sometimes you can't. When you can, it
still takes a lot of time and effort to build your case against them, time
that's being taken away from your primary purpose, which is to build
product...unless your company has deep pockets and has a staff specifically for that
purpose.

-Steve Gregory-