LEADFREE Archives

January 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:43:12 EST
Hello Ofer,

From your comments I sense that you are aware that one should be careful
about getting too wedded to the concept of aspect ratio. 10:1 may be too high an
aspect ration for lower thickness boards as well.

There are practical matters alluded to in Brian's comments and that I know
Werner knows well. You can drill an 75µm hole in a 750µm board (10:1) but you
won't get the commonly specified 25µm of copper on the entire hole wall. The
hole will likely close on the top before the wall in the center is plated using
standard electroplating practices. Additive processing will get you closer but
it will take a long time.

Also unstated thus far the dialogue (but I am sure understood by all) is that
copper plating differs in quality based on the chemistry, controls and
process parameters. The concepts discussed so far are based on an "all things being
equal" analysis relative to copper. Once the theoretical is nailed down the
practical must also be dealt with.

Best regards,
Joe