LEADFREE Archives

January 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Phil Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:21:25 -0800
A few stumbling block questions:

Who, in the US, has already successfully transitioned their circuit card
assembly processes over to compliant materials?

How long did it take and how much did it cost to make the transition?

Did you eliminate the old process completely or will it continue indefinitely?

What process validation tests were required to be completed successfully
before the process was considered reliable?

How much of the cost was spent on new capital equipment?

I realize that Japan has many companies that are already compliant, but I
don't see a lot of participation from those companies on this forum.

I have also found a paper published by Motorola which referenced over a
million dollars to change to lead free for a cellular application.

Our group needs to document the plan before management will fund this
effort, but it is difficult to find benchmark examples for the cost to
implement when it hasn't been done yet.

During the no clean soldering process transition, we had our legislation
mandating the change and there was a major cost reduction available to us
if we could get rid of freon.

I  won't get my hopes up, but I am looking to see if I can find other OEMs
(with similar products to ours) that are already compliant AND would be
willing to share their lessons learned.

Thanks in advance as always....

Phil