LEADFREE Archives

January 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Robin Ingenthron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:53:23 -0500
Maybe there's more than one MA guy...  But the only USA regulations I know
of are for recycling of Cathode Ray Tubes.

> In MA CRTs were added to an existing regulation authorizing DEP to
restrict disposal of recyclables (a "waste ban");  the state also provided
grant funding to set up a collection infrastructure -- until funding was cut
last year.  The CRTs are still banned but now lowball bidders are getting
most of the contracts and the actual recycling may be less certain than it
was when a state contractor was collecting most of them.

> CA had actual legislation pass (initially vetoed in 2002 by Gov Gray Davis
but then signed by him on second try in 2003).  It puts an ARF "advanced
recycling fee" on sale of each new CRT (TV/Monitor), but gave the state
officials several months to set up what the fee would be and how it will be
distributed.   I read that Gov. Arnawld put it in an executive "study
committee" which keeps the ARF from being collected.

In general USA legislation has been far less prescriptive about how the
collected electronics are to be handled and by whom.  Some enviro groups
have called for OEMs to be more involved a la WEEE.   From the perspective
of a current recycler and former state regulator, whatever the europeans or
american governments legislate, it will be scrap metal people contracted to
scrap the metal... The open question is who they will be contracted to
(OEMs, government, or private hauling companies) or bought out by.

In bottle bill states, Pepsi does not come get the Pepsi bottles... There
can't be a dozen different recycling companies collecting items by brand
from the bottle redemption center.  Not saying there are not concrete
differences in the way the infrastructure develops between OEM "Stewardship"
legislation and simpler "mandatory recycling" legislation (Anheiser Busch is
now the largest AL recycler in the USA ... Though they have not integrated
at all into brown glass bottles).  It just may not develop at all the way
"command and control" advocates predict and imagine.

My apologies if you were asking about solder.  No MA legislation on solder,
I wouldn't put it past CA.  Mercury is another story, I think there are many
mercury thermometer laws in development.

Robin