DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:59:20 -0500
From:
Happy Holden <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Rex,
Were not picking on you-we understand your plight !  Our questions /
answers are more an 'educational platform' to all those that read the [DC]
forum.

 In looking at your design, it could be built as protos by companies that
specialize in the 'TOUGH'.  Here is how we would build it:
1. L3-L4: Drill, image, plate, etch, plug thru-holes, cap-plate holes
2. L2-L3-L4-L5: Laminate prepreg or RCC on both sides of L3-L4 core, laser
drill L2-L3 & L5-L4, image, plate, etch, plug blind via holes, cap-plate
holes
3. L1-L2-L5-L6: Laminate prepreg or RCC on both sides of L2-L5 core, laser
drill L1-L2 & L6-L5, image, plate, etch, solder mask, ENIG, fab

Now that I have drawn it out, this is a 2+2+2 HDI Type VI.  The big rub is
that these vias have to be stacked.  If this can be accomplished with
Staggered Vias, then this becomes a 2+2+2 HDI Type III  which is much
easier to build.  My attempts to draw this is below:

  vias:       1             2                     3                   4
L3     _________        _______       ______       _____
L4     |________|        |_______|     |______|     |_____|

 vias:       1             2                     3                   4
L2     _________       ________      ______      ______
L3     |________|       | _______|     |______|    | _____|
L4     |________| XX |_______|XX|______|XX|_____|
L5     |___________________|     |______|     |_____|

vias:       1             2                     3                   4
L1     __     ____          _______       _______________
L2     |_|__|____|         | ______|      |______________|
L3     |________|XXX| ______|XX|______|XX| _____|
L4     |________|XXX|_______|XX|_____|XX|______|
L5     |___________________|XX|_____|XX |______|
L6     |___________________________|      |______|

The Type III would look like this:
vias:       1             2                     3                   4
L1     __     ___          ______       _________________
L2     |_|__|___|       | ______|      |________________|
L3     |___________|     | ______|    |_______|     | ___|

Happy Holden
Westwood Associates

Rex Dalipe <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
01/23/2004 11:49 PM
Please respond to "(Designers Council Forum)"; Please respond to Rex
Dalipe