TECHNET Archives

December 2003

From:
Yordan Venev <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 16:14:07 +0200
Ed,

Thank you for the explanations! We did have some increased solder bridging
recently and I went for changing the flux (I was not aware of the dev in the
pot composition). We had been using for years a no-clean low solid 2.5% flux
(I am not sure whether it is appropriate to point at the manufacturer) and
in general we were satisfied with it. Since it is known that low solids tend
to solder bridging I decided to use some newer, of course no-clean and
relatively low solid flux which was claimed to be better as far as bridging
is concerned. And, yes we have achieved better results! This was just before
the analysis! Taking in mind yours and all other inputs, which I am very
thankful for, I have decided to order another analysis. I have been
wondering as well why the tin went down - we do not process pure tin plated
components nor finished PCBs. I would say we have assembled  50/50 SnPb and
AuNi finished PCBs.

Best regards to all,
Yordan