TECHNET Archives

December 2003

From:
"Creswick, Steven" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 06:09:03 -0500
Brain,

I agree with you.  You have defined a good plan for Steve to define the cause.

I have found many times that the nickel will be driven to the surface as a result of prior thermal processing of the PWB, and subsequent oxidation of the nickel.  As the total time interval between high temperature exposures (cummulative effects) and wire bonding increases, the difficulty in bonding increases.  Basically, we verified this once by Auger analysis.  Pores in the gold plating exist and nickel will come to the surface.

Resolutions were to increase the plated density of the gold (it was quite porous).  They did this by changing the rate at which the (electroplating) was performed - maybe the plating gurus can chime in here - and reducing the Work In Process time, storing in Nitrogen at all possible opportunities, and more agressive plasma cleaning prior to wirebonding.

In the hybrid field, we routinely plasma clean with Argon, or Argon/Nitrogen, or Argon Hydrogen, or oxygen (if we suspect organics).

The argon/hydrogen would be settled on for this type of incoming (to wirebonding) problem.  The heavy Argon atom mechanically smacks the surface and dislodges whatever is there (atomic layer/s only - this is not a very agressive plasma cleaning).  In theory, the debris is sucked out the vacuum port.  Also in theory, the hydrogen, reduces [converts the metal oxide back to the base metal] the nickel oxides to nickel -  with the argon freshening that up a bit more.  While bonding to a gold/nickel surface is not as good as bonding to pure gold, it certainly is far better than bonding to a hard nickel oxide/gold surface.

Lastly, if one were not concerned about gold embrittlement of solder joints, or cost, one could simply plate more gold on the surface.  This results in a delaying factor.  Usually, not a viable approach if there were SMT components involved.

My concluding comments are to minimize the thermal excursions and get the parts into wire bonding as soon as possible.

Steve Creswick - Gentex Corporation, Zeeland - MI