LEADFREE Archives

December 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Mike Haff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:10:46 -0800
In June of 2003 I attended a lead free seminar sponsored by AEA, at
Solectron in San Jose.  One of the clear statements made by the presenters
of the seminar was that "there are currently no thresholds or de minimis
exemptions set forth in the RoHS Directive.  The Directive contemplates,
however, the preparation of amendments by the EU addressing this issue".

Can anyone tell me if there have been any firmly established thresholds for
lead established by the EU?  I read that the EU has established < 0.1% as
the "lead free" standard, but am not aware of it being formally adopted.

Also, has there been any formal adoption of what level the lead content of
an electronic product is to be controlled at: raw material, component,
subassembly, assembly, finished good?  In other words if I use standard tin
lead solder, at a component level it will certainly fail the <0.1%
requirement but if lead percentages are based on the end product and the end
product is a fairly large assembly that has overall low lead content then I
may pass.  Have these levels been established?  I get conflicting reports
from vendors and customers and would like to put this to bed if the EU has
moved in a decision.

Thanks for any and all help.

Mike Haff
Executive Vice President