LEADFREE Archives

December 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Chuck Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:31:50 -0800
The listserver apparently rejected my reply to JCAnner's comment about
mercury. Here it is, (hopefully) again.
The listserver won't let me sent a *.pdf attachment so check out page 33
of the Executive Summary report available from the URL inlcuded in my
message. It indicates that point sources (e.g. utility boilers) make up
86% of the total sources of mercury emissions, landfills contribute 0%
(i.e. I assume that means less than .099% because sources in the .1%+
range are assigned numbers greater than zero). Note also that hazardous
waste combustors contribute 4.4% of the total. If we are diverting
devices containing mercury from landfills but end up burning them are we
doing anybody a favor?

Chuck Dolci

Your posting to the Leadfree list has been rejected because it contains
an attachment of  type 'APPLICATION/POSTSCRIPT'.  The Leadfree list  has
been configured to  reject such attachments;  please contact the list
owner at [log in to unmask]  for more  information. Logic
error  in BAD_ATTACHMENT template.

JC
The attached is from a US EPA report to Congress on Mercury in the
environment. It shows the U.S. based anthropogenic sources of mercury
emissions in the environment (as a layman I could never understand the
notion of "emissions" of an __element__ into the environment. Isn't it
already in the environment and just kind of moving things around but not
really changing anything?)

According to the report it is estimated that the total global input
(including natural sources) of mercury into the atmosphere is about
5,500 tons. U.S. sources are estimated to contribute about 3 percent of
that total.

To read the whole report go to http://www.epa.gov/oar/mercury.html

The Executive Summary is good enough (if you trust the source). The
whole report is a lot of reading.

Chuck Dolci
--
Charles F. Dolci
Director - Business Continuity and EH&S Programs