ENVIRONET Archives

December 2003

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:22:13 +0200
Chuck

I can't help to recall a quotation from Robert Watson, Co-chair of the
Scientific Assessment Panel of the Protocol and former Chairman of the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, one of the world's most
renowned atmospheric scientists:
'Although scientific evidence that human activities were causing
stratospheric ozone depletion was quite robust in the late 1980s, there
were a number of sceptics who said, "wait for perfect knowledge; there
is uncertainty in the ozone models." Unfortunately, the sceptics were
absolutely right. The models were inaccurate. They underestimated the
impact of human activities on stratospheric ozone. This means that with
the Montreal Protocol and its adjustments and amendments, society will
have to live with stratospheric ozone depletion not only over
Antarctica, but over all of the globe, except for tropics and
subtropics, for at least another 50 years. Some of the same sceptics are
now saying that not enough is known about climate change.'

However, the populist article you cite is a classic example of the use
of half-truths to bolster a political cause. Yes, human activity has
altered climate. The island I live on was the main known world source of
copper from 3,000 BCE to 1,000 AD (the name in Greek of the island and
the word for copper in Greek are the same, but it is not known whether
copper was named from the island or vice versa). It has been possible to
estimate the quantity of copper ore mined and metal smelted. From 3,000
BCE to the birth of Jesus (remember that this period included the copper
and bronze ages), the quantity of charcoal required for smelting that
amount of ore has been estimated. To provide that charcoal would have
required the complete deforestation of the total surface area of the
island at least 12 times. Now, no one is going to tell me that this had
no effect on the microclimates: I'm sure it did. So, effectively, 12 x
9500 km2 of forest were burnt over 3,000 years to produce this copper or
  38 km2/year on an average (one wonders at the manpower required to cut
the trees, kiln and transport the charcoal at this almost industrial
scale). Yes, the carbon will be transformed into CO2, but this is
renewable energy, part of the natural carbon cycle. In the growth period
of the renewed forest, so an equivalent amount of carbon will be
absorbed to allow the new trees to grow to the same size as the old
ones. This is the basic error of "it is unlikely that the rather low
human populations of ancient times would have had the means to produce
such high CO2 levels" -- this statement presupposes they were using
fossil fuels and <emphasis> it is not the presence of CO2 in the natural
carbon cycle that is in cause, but the extra loading that is produced by
the combustion of fossil fuels, thereby changing the carbon
cycle</emphasis>. Furthermore, the theory that heat causes CO2, rather
than the reverse, does not hold water in this case, as there are cited
time lags of a few hundred years. A few hundred years ago, the
temperatures in the N Hemisphere were actually decreasing.

In addition, any web site, such as Tech Central Station, that promotes
the self-interest of large American Corporations with vested interests
in burning fossil fuels and which cites "European liberals" as being
responsible for all the fuss about Climate Change is hardly likely to be
considered as credible. I did not realise that over half the scientists,
universities and other organisations working for the scientific aspects
of the IPCC, all from America, including many in the South, and even the
worthy NASA, were all "European liberals". We live and learn! (You see,
you don't have the monopoly of sarcasm :-) )

Brian