TECHNET Archives

November 2003

From:
Roger Mouton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:12:57 -0800
Rudy,

Thanks for your post.  It isn't just Asia that's open to new things and
yours isn't the only innovative technology that gets a cold shoulder.  The
industry seems not sure which direction to take on most any kind of
innovative manufacturing technology.  It would seem that they want it all
handed to them.  If it requires any R&D, even the least little bit, a
certain negative inertia takes over and they just can't move.  If it isn't
plug and play, or downright given to them by a supplier, entertaining
anything new won't happen.

In discussing new technologies to prospective clients, the inevitable
question is "Who else is using it?", as if some other company hasn't gone
before them they won't be a leader.  I've been working with advanced
plating technology about which I'm bound in many cases by non-disclosure
agreements regarding particulars.

Several companies outside the US have adopted new technologies.  We seem
blind to them.  I often get that "deer in the headlights" response when
discussing innovation taking place outside the country.  And besides, with
adoption of innovative technology, example many European manufacturing
operations, what makes US fabs think that the Europeans or other
manufacturing nations are just going to throw open their doors and tell the
world everything about what they do?

It's no wonder to me that Airbus is overtaking Boeing.  Europe does more in
their manufacturing practices than just getting government subsidies.  And
US aerospace companies get them too if the truth be known.  Perhaps you can
argue against the aerospace example..........I certainly don't want to
oversimplify an obviously complex issue but, as a manufacturing nation,
we've got lot of problems on our hands and available innovative technologies
are going unused.

Roger Mouton