TECHNET Archives

November 2003

From:
Eric Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 12:00:44 -0000
Hi Sheila,
I have an issue with at the moment.
Our inspectors prefer to use a bench magnifier rather than the Vision Mantis available. The Mantis has a X4 lens and, although the manufacturers of the magnifier claim X2.5 its actual mag. is X1.5. Consequently defects can and are missed.
I also have a simple X7 to X45 stereozoom on my Process Bench but this is a bit too much for general inspection, mainly because the field of view is limited.
I am not sure that any single lens bench magnifier will ever achieve x4. The edge distortion will reach almost to the centre. You can easily check the magnification by putting a ruler or similar under the equipment where you can also see it by naked eye by glancing downwards. Compare the magnified image with the real thing, does one look four times as big as the other?
I suspect that some manufacturers get away with their claims by stating the area magnification not the linear magnification. The first is the square of the second.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Eric Dawson