TECHNET Archives

November 2003

From:
Sasha Miladinovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:02:58 +0100
Hello Steve?.

I assume that the soldering process window is wide enough for the actual
product that the question originate from.

My general opinion is that there is no difference in solder strength
irrespective of the annular ring. It is not the amount of the solder that
is determining factor when considering the strength of a solder joint but
the molecular structure in the solder itself.

Strength on the other hand, is varying depending on materials involved.
For instance, if U have gold involved in a solder joint, the bond between
Au-Au or Au-Ni atoms are weaker the between Pb-Pb or Sn-Cu atoms?
And to make it worse? There is ALWAYS a dedicated intermetallic layer
inside the solder joint that is weaker then anything else around.
Therefore I if U put a constant mechanical force of, we say only 20-30N,
to the solder joint, it would collapse soon or later due to abnormally
rapid aging in just that weak layer.
The concrete example is if U have a contacts (for example D-Sub) on the
PCB that are mechanically fixed to the instrument back plane at the same
time as the PCB is mechanically attached to the other parts of the
instrument and if the tolerances in the design are not wide enough, the
solder joint is going achieve a fatigue limit causing a collapse as a
consistency of a mechanical force applied to the soldering joint.

I agree with Werner when we talk about solder strength in relation to its
purpose.
Soldering joints within electronics are not thought to act as welding
points.

U can relate the question to "Is SMD joint weaker then THD joint?" It is
the same principle.

And U can read the contribution that Ingmar made in Reliability Solder
discussion with a similar Real-Life example.

The direct consequences with a larger annular ring are only positive in a
terms of higher process(soldering) reliability (soldering, ev. printing,
rework, inspection and so on).

Sasha Miladinovic - Production Engineering
Amersham Biosciences, PCB Production, Umeå
Tel:      +46 (0) 90 150 232
Fax:     +46 (0) 90 138 372
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Steve Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
2003-10-23 23:56
Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum."; Please respond to Steve Kelly