TECHNET Archives

November 2003

From:
John Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:07:08 -0800
Chris,

I hear what you are saying, and yes, I used the word "ground" out of habit.
My confusion though lies in the fact that there will be no reference plane
below the signal trace (hence coplanar) and that the designer seems to think
that they (end user) only want the reference line on one side of the signal
line.

When I try and use the Polar calculator with the parameters given below, and
I deselect the "plane" radio buttons it tells me that I need a reference
line width of at least 10x the dielectric thickness, which is 62mil) or 10x
the coplanar separation.

Again, to clarify, my confusion is in the fact that I do not have reference
"plane" surrounding the signal trace.  I need to understand how the proposed
design will work, and how to reconcile the calculations before
manufacturing.

Thanks
John