TECHNET Archives

November 2003

From:
Doug Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:20:45 -0600
Cheryl,
You might look at Alpha UP-78M low solids solder paste.  It works well for
us and is designed to remain soft for probe testing for about 24 hours.
After that it hardens into a more permanent residue.  I don't know if the
residue becomes tacky at 130C but it should not be hard to test.

Doug Pauls
Rockwell Collins

                      Cheryl Tulkoff
                      <cheryl.tulkoff@N        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      I.COM>                   cc:
                      Sent by: TechNet         Subject:  [TN] No Clean Pastes for High Temp Operating Environments

                      11/11/2003 01:55
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "TechNet E-Mail
                      Forum."; Please
                      respond to Cheryl
                      Tulkoff

Does anyone out there use a probeable, no clean solder paste in an
environment where board surface and some components can reach temps of up
to 130C?

We build some industrial controllers rated to an operating environment of
up to 70C but some areas and components on the board reach up to 130C (the
parts are rated for this)while operating. Several probeable pastes that
we've evaluated soften and get very tacky in this temp range. The vendors
don't recommend their use above 100C or so.

I've found some no clean pastes are being used by mfg at up to 130C but
I've only identified one possible pin-testable one - Amtech's Syntech
paste. Has anyone used/evaluated this material or another suitable one?
And, no, I don't want to wash the residues off.

Thanks. Offline opinions welcome at [log in to unmask]