TECHNET Archives

October 2003

From:
Lum Wee Mei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:57:53 +0800
Hello ,

With reference to those responsed to the 0.8mm BGA question, Leslie has
shared with us that 0.4mm pad can be used.

Taking reference to the table below (by the way, no one has responsed my
early message),  I would assume that it has ball diameter = 0.5mm as
0.8mm pitch BGA can have ball diameters from  0.3mm to 0.5mm.

I have come across Intel 1.0mm Easy BGA  with 0.43 nomimal ball
diameter, recommending 0.3mm pad. For a newcomer, based on the 20%
reduction recommeded in IPC-7095, the pad diameter would be 0.344mm as
the pitch is more than sufficient  to cater it. Why Intel uses 0.3mm and
not 0.344mm?

Anyone want to share a light?

Regards,
Wee Mei