TECHNET Archives

October 2003

From:
Gene Felder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 10:40:11 -0700
Some pertinent information from ESD Association documents:

Per ANSI/ESD S20.20 paragraph 6.2.1.1. Grounding / Bonding Systems
Requirements,  "Grounding/Bonding Systems shall be used to ensure that ESDS
items, personnel and any other conductors (e.g. mobile equipment) are at
the same electrical potential. As a minimum, ESDS items, personnel and
other related conductors shall be bonded or electrically interconnected."

Per S20.20 Table 1 Technical Requirements Recommended Range, Mobile
Equipment Recommended Range RTG < 1 x 10^9 ohms. [so put 5# Electrode on
cart shelf & lead to equipment ground to verify path-to-ground]

ESD Protected Workstations ESD-ADV53.1 Electrical Requirements,
"Workstation elements shall be connected to, and maintain electrical
continuity to, the common point ground as follows: Surfaces of shelves and
drawers intended to be used for unprotected ESD sensitive devices -
Resistance: Between 1 x 10^6 ohms and 1 x 10^9 ohms." [so matting should be
10^6 to 10^8 ohms on cart shelves].

Note: most any hard floor [like regular vinyl tiles] can become an ESD
Floor using a dissipative floor finish.

Gene Felder
www.desco.com