TECHNET Archives

October 2003

From:
"Barmuta, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:17:12 -0700
Greg: One of the better more practical publications on electroplating is the
Metal Finishers Guidebook and Directory annual issue. Contact them at
www.metalfinishing.com <http://www.metalfinishing.com> .

What you are trying to do may seem simple on the surface but it's much more
complicated than it appears. The basic ingredients are a rectifier, anode,
non-conductive vessel, wiring and the correct chemistry in proper
proportions. However there are required precleaning and activation steps to
the substrate that must be done prior to electroplating.These involve
another layer of complexity. Then the plating itself,  involving bath
chemistry and control, current densities, anode/cathode spacing, correct
materials of construction, etc.

I think you'll have a very steep learning curve on this. I would recommend
if you truly want to pursue this, work with a local plating supply vendor or
if there is a metal finishing business in the area see if they would be
willing to help. I have found that local business' many times are willing to
work with you when coupled to universities and  programs.

Good Luck

Michael Barmuta

Staff Engineer

Fluke Corp.