TECHNET Archives

October 2003

From:
"Philip M. Yates" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:50:24 -0500
Jack,

At a previous employer, we assembled a significant amount of products on
flex (TH, SMT, Chip on Flex and Flip Chip on Flex).  We normally used custom
carrier pallets.  These pallets were constructed of Delmat or similar
materials or stainless steel for clean room applications.  They used a
variety of securing methods, including low profile clamps, spring loaded
pins, and/or bottom side ports that interfaced with internal vacuum sources
in the assembly equipment.  For a surface mount assembly, pallets with
integrated, low profile pins with lateral spring/torsion bars worked well.
Flex products were assembled single up and in multi-up panels.  Multi-up
flex panels are easier to work with (i.e. you can have dead zones for
tooling holes), but depending on the individual circuit design and the
depanelization technique, it can make it more difficult to achieve uniform
tensioning across the entire circuit.

Most of the "high-end" pallet manufacturers are familiar with these
techniques. One supplier that we frequently used and is familiar with thin,
flex applications is Process Automation and Tool, in Huntsville, Alabama.
Their web site is www.autogroup.com. There is certainly no need to hand
assembly your product.

Phil Yates
256-679-6749