TECHNET Archives

October 2003

From:
Peter Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:49:00 +0100
Hi Karen,

We too have had problems with parts flipping over in carrier tape whilst on
feeders.

Like some other respondents it is largely confined to plastic carrier tapes,
with SOT23, 0603 and 0402 being the worst culprits. As well as some of the
solutions already mentioned I have found that the peel strength of cover
tapes on plastic carrier tapes can vary widely on the same length of tape,
producing a 'snatching' movement when a higher peel strength section is
followed by a lower peel strength, pitching the part over within the pocket.

Like other respondents switching exclusively to paper tapes has more or less
eliminated this. Even if the cover tape peel strength varies along the way
it tends to peel away with some of the top layer of the paper tape still
attached, evening out the peel strength variations.

As for SOT23 we still occasionally have problems due to the requirement for
formed pockets, but have found cover tapes with pressure sensitive adhesive
more consistent than the heat sensitive variety.

Hope this is helpful,

Peter Barton

===== Original Message from [log in to unmask] (TechNet E-Mail Forum.) at
21/10/03 12:42
>Hi Karen,
>
>I too have seen this problem. We were having this occur mainly on 0402s
>and 0603s that were packaged in plastic tape. We did not have this
>problem on any of the paper tape reels. It appears that the tape
>advancement stress is vibrated easily through the plastic tape but not
>on the paper. When the tape was being pulled away and the part advanced,
>the part would flip in the emboss. If you can adjust your feeders, that
>may help some. I will use paper if given a choice. Good luck!
>
>Danny
>

>        Karen Walters <[log in to unmask]>
>

>10/20/2003 04:19 PM
>Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum."; Please respond to
>karen.walters
>
>        To:        [log in to unmask]
>        cc:
>        Subject:        [TN] Parts flipping in Pocket Carrier Tape on
>Pick and Place Machine
>

>Hi All
>
>I just want to see if anyone has experienced parts flipping in Pocket
>Carrier Tape on Pick and Place Machine and if you could help me identify
>
>some potential root causes.
>
>Thanks
>Karen

> EXAMPLE:
>
> TO:
>            <forum name>@ipc.org
> SUBJECT:
>            <your subject>
> MESSAGE:
>            <your message>
>

>Karen Walters
>Customer Quality Engineer
>SKYWORKS Solutions, Inc.
>20 Sylvan Road
>Woburn, MA 01801
>t. 781.376.3599
>f. 781.376.3320
>c.781.844.2227

>in
>[log in to unmask]: SET Technet Digest
>Search the archives of previous posts at:
>http://listserv.ipc.org/archives
>Please visit IPC web site
>http://www.ipc.org/contentpage.asp?Pageid=4.3.16 for additional
>information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-509-9700
>ext.5315
>To temporarily halt or (re-start) delivery of Technet send e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET
Technet NOMAIL or (MAIL)
>To receive ONE mailing per day of all the posts: send e-mail to [log in to unmask]: SET Technet
Digest
>Please visit IPC web site http://www.ipc.org/contentpage.asp?Pageid=4.3.16 for additional

Peter Barton
Senior Process Eng