TECHNET Archives

October 2003

From:
"Morse, Carrie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:30:50 -0400
Hi Karen!
Yes, we see parts flipping in the pocket periodically and only on certain components.
We see SOT-23's and similar packages flipping all the time.  We have never been able
to eliminate this problem on this type of component.  I believe this issue is a combination
of pocket design and/or machine interaction with the tape (ex: advance speed, acceleration, pick depth, vacuum).  If you have a high speed camera you can probably catch it and see if it's flipping when the reel advances, or, when it picks.  If the vacuum is too weak it may try to pick then drop it.  The comp my flip while dropping.  If the head is hitting the tape it may cause other components in the tape to flip.  If acceleration is too high, it may cause the comps to slide, hit the edge, and flip.  I am sure there are some other scenarios I'm not thinking of and I'm sure others will chime in.  One other thing....When we started building 0201's we thought the comps were flipping in the pocket, but, it turned out we were picking them too close to the edge and they were flipping as we placed them.