LEADFREE Archives

October 2003

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:22:51 -0500
Hi

Yes a tube of paste squished out from a lower source of compressive energy
is kind of close from what I have seen via many presentations. Yet we have
to have many of these tubes of paste in parallel to create the whisker
effect. It is so gentle yet such a neat growth process.

Internal Energy build up in a compliant yet funny metal material has to
go someplace and it also depends on the surface, the below surface, and how
that energy will be released or relieved. This is why the way you plate or
create the material can create the whiskers.

Since they stand up so tall and go in a direction for a long spell, I think
there is still some static electric effect or other slight field effects.

Gee I have some PhD Materials Engineers as buddies, I better go ask
them for their knowledge, concurrence, or non concurrence. These Whiskers
are neat stuff and maybe I am all whiskered with grey.

YiEngr, MA/NY DDave