DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2003

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Steve Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:44:02 -0400
Industry Report Card....

1) What does the IPC Designers Council mean or do for you?

A group to share knowledge & experiences with, and to keep up with the latest trends.

2) Do you like what it's about?

Yes

3) Do you know what it's about?

I think so.

4) Have you investigated into it?

Yes, I have just recently become an active member of my local chapter.

5) Is it beneficial?

Very much so.  We had meetings on a variety of topics lead by Rick Hartley, Gary Ferrari...

6) Is it Useless?

No, But it is only as useful as you and your local chapter make it.

7) A boon to designers or bomb?

A boon.  If nothing else it gives you a chance to blow off some steam with others with similar experiences.

8) What should the IPC Designers council be doing, or not be doing?

If a member has good knowledge of certain areas of design, then that member will hopefully lead a discussion or give a presentation on it so that others can learn.

9) Is the CID program useful? Meaningful? How about the Learning Symposiums? 10)Are the 50 dollar a year dues to high? Low? Or just right? Are the discounts deep enough? Or on the right things?

The CID is useful in showing your employer that you have the knowledge to design a board, although I feel that the IPC is out of touch in some areas (such as metric use) and that is reflected in the test.

The cost is a little higher than other organizations I have belonged to but about right.

The discounts are good but do not cover enough of the standards that I feel we need to have.

My regards,
Steve Smith, C.I.D.
Product Engineer
Staco Energy Products Co.