TECHNET Archives

September 2003

From:
Rodney Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:33:09 -0500
David has some great points.  Also, the testing should be done prior to
coating, especially Silicone due to the difficulting in removing it.

Lastly, if you are concerned with falloff or want the coating thicker.  You
have two choices.  Change to a different coating configuration that wet's
out differently and/or coat the pcb with the same material twice.

I think what you are seeing on the components is still adequate coverage.
Of course I cannot be sure, but from your note, it seems to be a new process
for you.  When specifying thickness, that is the coating on a flat surface.
Even mil specs, allow for deviation from that callout on component edges
etc.  If that coating needs to be consistent thickeness across all features,
you will need a Parylene coating, which is very expensive, but very
consistent across different features.

We have been applying Silicone coating for years.  There is a learning
curve, but controlling it and the thickness can be done fairly easily, and
once controls are in place, you can get even better with controlling it with
little PCB design changes to control surface tension.

Rodney