TECHNET Archives

September 2003

From:
"Chezhian, Krishnan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:22:56 +0800
Hi Paul,

This is a common problem in the industry when the customer asks for the via
holes to be plugged with soldermask & if the PBW fabricator does not do a
good job of plugging the holes you will end with solder balls. Basically
when plugging is done it is done from one side either component side or
solder side depending on the board design, fine pitch devices, closely
spaced features etc., would end up having soldermask smear after the
plugging process, hence it would be plugged from the non-critical side. When
the vias are not plugged sufficiently (%hole fill), solder from the
subsequent HASL process wold get entrapped inside these vias which are
attached to the plugged soldermask inside the vias & may not be visible to
the naked eye, these solder balls would then pop-out during the IR reflow
process at the assembly side, those that are visible would be entrapped
inside but attached to the hole wall copper & would not pop-out during the
IR reflow process at the assembly side.

Normally you would see that when the plugging is done from the component
side & top-side is being reflowed the solder balls will pop-out on the
solder side or bottom side making it difficult to print solder paste on the
bottom-side. The only way out here is increase the %hole fill by the
fabricator to ensure no solder entrapment & for those boards that have been
already fabricated & in WIP to send them through the IR reflow as bare
boards to pop-out the solder balls & take a plastic paper cutter or
non-metallic knife & run it across the board to remove the popped out solder
balls & then your assembly would not have any problems. Baking the boards
will not help as you need temperature & gravity for the solder ball to pop
out & make sure you place the boards with the plugging side facing top
during the IR reflow process.
Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Krishnan