TECHNET Archives

September 2003

From:
"McCabe, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:39:58 -0400
Dacia,
        We have used paper defect report sheets that are entered in a
database, all the way to an application from a company called Derby
Associates (a spin-off of Agilent)which takes the PCB CAD file and creates a
graphics file that is displayed to our operators on a touch panel PC and
integrates with various testers.
        For example, when an in circuit test fails on a populated PCB, the
ICT process step in our system is set to fail and the PCB can not go onto
the next process step unless it is repaired, retested an passes. If ICT
indicts a component, the fault is logged against the PCB serial number in
our database and the board is automatically routed to a repair station. The
repair operator scans the board serial number and a schematic of the board
is displayed on a touch panel PC with the indicted component highlighted in
red. The operator touches the component and selects the repair action, which
is also logged in or database.
        We have designed our data collection architecture around a common
data format and collect ICT, FCT, Vision, Tuner Alignment, Operator, repair,
final assembly and Acoustic data in this format. We also have thrown away
all the different reporting tools we had in the past and have standardized
on one web-based reporting tool, so that our supervisors, managers,
engineers and operators can learn one tool and get reports from any area of
the floor on their desks. We have done a similar thing with SPC tools that
read this common data format, and we can easily deploy them across the floor
where they are needed.
        On non-electronic lines where we need to collect data in real time
to drive continuous improvement, we have developed our own web-based
application, which runs on a touch-panel PC, that not only that collects
data from the operators (and uses the same data format and reporting tools),
but displays their manufacturing procedures, BOMs, quality alerts,
deviations and operator checklists.
        Although there was a capital investment to deploy this
infrastructure, we have actually saved money with increases in yield,
reduction in scrap, decreases in downtime, and increases in outgoing
quality.