TECHNET Archives

September 2003

From:
Rudy Sedlak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:47:57 EDT
Mr. Ellis, and any others who have not tired of this discussion:

Everything you say about the weakness of pH as a measurement of cleaning MAY
be true....HOWEVER...pH will always remain a better instrument of measuring
cleaning power of a used cleaner solution than titration...

Titration measures quantity of alkali, and gives us no measure of type, or
quality...pH is a marker of type, or quality, and a rough measure of quantity...
I remind you of my previous example, that a very old, used cleaner solution
can titrate as full strength, and not be able to clean at all...yet, a properly
made up cleaner solution always cleans with the same activity at the same pH,
thus pH reflects cleaning activity...

Have we beaten this thing into the ground enough?

Rudy Sedlak
RD Chemical Company

In a message dated 9/24/03 8:37:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time,