TECHNET Archives

September 2003

From:
Mark Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:15:00 +0100
Lorraine.

I am using the same software (Assembly Expert 2.0) to generate SMT programs.
The best way to validate the software (On a Pre-Purchase basis) is to import
real BOM/CAD data for a job that you are currently building and then compare
the outputs to your current programs/documentation.

The same issues occur with all forms of data manipulation - Rubbish In
Rubbish Out. I have found that as long as you are careful and confident
about the data that you are importing then the results will be correct.

We validate all our machine programs and component loading by running a Tape
First Off (Components Built on Double Sided Tape) This allows the board to
be inspected to a BOM and allows the components to be removed for
measurement purposes and if necessary re-used (after cleaning).

I have found that the program outputs need configuring to your specific
needs before the data can be used. The outputs supplied are 99% correct. The
only changes needed were formatting so that the machine would recognise the
program.

Mark Austin
Process Engineer
ACW Technology Ltd